Wednesday, November 25, 2009

PBIM - the long journey

Running a full marathon definitely isn't in my new year resolution. I've surprised myself to have done it - twice.

I started going outdoor in late 2006 with a broken bike (it cost me RM149 from Tesco).

A couple of months later I stopped riding after a bad accident with my elder son.

Then I started to walk. I tried to run at the beginning but couldn't last for more than 5 minutes.

I continue this throughout 2007 and the target was to complete a 1000km journey. I did it with a daily routine of 4km a day. The routine started at 6am but sometime it's too late when the kids wake up so I changed it to 530 and at the end 5am.

2008 is the year I started to run more.

After the 1000km, I realised I have a better stamina and can run continuously for 4 to 5km. So I started to look around for a road race to participate. I was searching for something 5 or 6km but the nearest I could find is the Mizuno 10km run.

It's now a history but Mizuno 10k is the starting point of a more serious running engagement, leading to 2 marathon finishes this year.

I trained for the run, but unfortunately injured my big toe a day before the run in a company futsal game.

Despite the injury I still showed up and took that important first step with my buddies - Will, CP, Janice and James and it was hell limping all the way to the finish line.

That was the toughest run for me so far. In my mind it topped the final stretch along Jelutong Expressway last Sunday.

Nothing is ever the same again after that.

I participated in 2 more run - IOI 7km and Malakoff 12km that year.

A big breakthrough happened in Jan this year on a rainy Saturday morning. I did my first 20km run with CP, Ken Wei, Andre and Jon. It was the notorious 2 x reverse double hill route.

The next race I participated in was the Great Eastern 20k. I did my first sub 2 hours finish. I was feeling good even towards the end.

I can't remember how it all started but the thought of running full marathon started around that time. CP used to say - "Marathon is the furthest I would go". I must ask him again after his sub 4 finish last Sunday:)

After that 3 of us (CP, KW) started to train on longer distances. 21km, 25km, 28km and finally a 30km run. That's when I decided to commit myself to a marathon.

I registered online for PBIM on the first day, the 4th person to register for the full marathon and given the bib number of A00004.

Then came the news about SCKLM. At first we were not sure whether there is enough time to train for it. But after a lot of thought, all of us, including a surprised candidate Ravin, signed up for the race.

The rest of the stories on SCKLM can be found in this blog.

I continued to train after SCKLM and participated in a few more races. However my timing seems to have hit the plateau and can't improve further. On top of that I was constantly hit with knee problem and had to take it easy.

Despite all the difficulties, I'm glad to still manage to get in shape for PBIM and set a new PB.

In a positive way, I leave a lot of room for improvement and this will keep me motivated to continue my marathon journey.

Until the next race... PBIM race report coming up next...

2 comments:

  1. Bravo for the PBIM effort.

    I did run the PBIM09 too,and it was a
    BIG improvement over last year's edidtion.

    Keep it up and Crank on.

    millrunner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by. Cheers..

    ReplyDelete