Sunday, August 2, 2009

Adidas King Of The Road Shah Alam 2009


This is my first competitive run after the KL Marathon at the end of June.

I suffered quite a bit during this run due to lack of training. The longest distance I've done in July is only 10km so the outcome is sort of expected.

In any case, I'm still very happy with this run. Turned out I'm only ¹minute late for the finisher's medal. They only give this to top 350 finishers in Category A.

Must try again next year when I'm able to train harder.

The running route is quite hilly throughout northern and southern part of Shah Alam. Total race distance is 22.7km which is odd for a half marathon race.

I started the race pretty strong and able to keep up with the top runners until about 3km. Reached the first water station (my guess that is the 5km point since there are no distance markers) at about 2¹mins. After that I just can't keep up anymore when the route hit a few hills. My legs were completely lack of strength to push hard so most of the time I ended up with mere jogging pace.

After 10km I have to start my run-walk routine again to ease the running muscles. It worked perfectly and I'm able to overtake quite a lot of runners later on nearer to the finishing line.

The last hill before the Shah Alam Stadium is where I suffered the most. Only if I had push harder, I should be able to finish 1-2 minutes earlier. Frank Chong from Runnerz Circle overtook me in front of the stadium entrance...and he is probably the last of the top 350.

CP did well by finishing his first sub 2 half marathon with the time of 1h 58m.

My Time: 2h 19m

(I forget to stop the watch. So the actual timing is between 2:18 - 2:19). I heard the gun went off about 1-2 mins after I crossed the finishing line.

Next up will be the training for Penang Bridge Marathon. Here it goes again....:)

Posted by ShoZu

2 comments:

  1. URGENT: TO ALL PARTICIPANTS OF ADIDAS KING OF THE ROAD 09
    A FRIEND OF MINE WENT MISSING DURING THE RUN.
    NAME: GARY LEON ROBERT
    REGISTRATION NUMBER: A793
    HE WAS WEARING THE ADIDAS VEST AND WHITE SHORTS, RUNNING WITH BASKETBALL SHOES.
    HE WAS LAST SEEN WALKING AWAY FROM THE AMBULANCE IN THE STADIUM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z2VtfcXlvI
    DID ANYBODY SEE ANY FALLS OR SUSPICIOUS EVENTS?
    IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT ME AT 012-3802133 OR 016-977 8919
    PLEASE PASS THE WORD AROUND.
    THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shah Alam Half Marathon on 2/8/09
    Very disappointed with the poor traffic management.Dangerous for runners to run in between cars, Chaos.
    After the event, no info given about the placing finishing position for runners. Still cannot find official time and position of runners result. Where can I find the official results till todate????????????
    Finding transport back to my hotel (Concorde Htl) was very difficult too.
    Last year 2008, I came in 3rd position but this year I have no idea what my position is as no organiser there to advice me.
    MorrisDempster

    ReplyDelete