Sunday, June 28, 2009

Standard Chartered KL Marathon - Part 1


This is my first marathon and I'm very happy to finish it within my target time of 6 hours.

The event itself is very badly organised. First the mayhem during the first bib collection day then they ran out of water at waterstations today.

I was told this event is much smaller than similar event organised by the same sponsor and organiser in Singapore. Doesn't make sense how they can messed up so badly with all those experience.

Back to my race report.

I woke up at 3am this morning to get ready for the run. The night before I went to bed at around 9.30pm but was awaken by gastric pain. My stomach has not been feeling well yesterday due to overload of food from the carbo loading. I had to swallow a couple of actal tablets to ease the pain and tried to get back to sleep. However the burning sensation from the stomach kept me awake until around 1.30am (last time I remember checking the time).

The stomach pain was still there when I woke up at 3am. I took a panadol before heading out. Panadol has been an effective medicine for my gastric problem.

After packing a few essential things into the running bag, I head out at around 3.20am.

CP sms me just when I turned into Padang Merbuk parking place. We managed to park side by side.

After taking one of my granolar bar as breakfast, both of us walked towards Dataran Merdeka. Not many runners around when we arrived.

We managed to meet up with Ravin around 4.30am.

Suddenly it rained 20 minutes before the race start. All of us have to hide under the VIP tent for a while before the organiser called everyone out 10 minutes before the starting time.

At the starting line, I told Ravin of my target time and 3:¹run-walk plan. I asked him to pace with me.

The run started on time at 5am. It was such a great feeling running out of the starting line. We wish CP all the best and told him to run at his own pace. Ravin is supposed to pace with me but he decided to continue his run when I started my walk break.

See part 2..

Posted by ShoZu

No comments:

Post a Comment