Sunday, June 28, 2009

Standard Chartered KL Marathon - Part 2


From that point onwards I continue with my 3:¹run-walk plan.

Janice and James came to cheer for us at Jalan Travers 5am in the morning. What a nice gesture.

First 5km, I was pacing comfortably at 7.5 minutes.

I reached the 10km mark at around 75 minutes. Still running at 7.5 mins pace. After that point, I slow my pace down to 8 mins in order to nurse my knee and to ensure I can go further. This is the point my knee pain started during the trainings.

I managed this pace until 15km mark without any sign of pain. Delighted with this, I just kept going.

At 18km mark, Uncle Yong from Bukit Jalil ran pass. I speed up a little bit to catch up and had a few chat with him. He told me to take it easy and warned me about hitting the wall at 30km or 32km mark. I told him about my knee and said I have to take my walk break now. He continue his run and I overtook him later at 22km mark.

Uncle Yong

I continue my run past 20km mark and started to get worry when there is a slight sign of uncomfortable on my left knee.

At a waterstation near 22km, I met a 65 years old senior man and chatted with him for a while. He has just recovered from flu and fever this week and wasn't sure whether he could finish the run. He told me about his first marathon experience and how it took him 4 years to train for it. Again I parted with him to do my walk break. I saw him again at the finishing line hours later. Bravo Mr. Gurdip.

Gurdip

25km was the point I make up my mind I will finish this run even if I have to walk the rest of it. Fortunately my knee is still holding up well up to this point. I stopped to take my first powergel at this point.

About 40 mins later I was at 30km mark. Time still below 4 hours. This is quite unbelievable since I've never ran upto this distance during training. Still remember my furthest distance is 29.2km? Everything beyond this point is an unknown to me and to my body. I decided to take it easy after that by slowing down the pace.

See part 3...

Posted by ShoZu

No comments:

Post a Comment